Oh Great, Butterflies…
Dating can be hard. For some, it makes their heart beat fast and their palms sweaty. Dating anxiety wrecks nerves and it brings up so many questions. Where do you go on the date? Who pays? Do you drive separately or go together? What do you talk about during the date? Will there be a kiss at the end of the night? To help you calm down for your next night on the town, here are a few suggestions…
1. Stay focused on the present: Don’t get ahead of yourself. It’s just a date. Don’t worry about the second date or where it’s headed. Enjoy the moment. Live for now and let everything else happen naturally.
2. Do something active: When you do a fun activity on a date, it can help with the pressure. Something like bowling or a painting class, can give you time to think of conversation topics, while the activity is going on, so you don’t have to spend the whole date freaking out over what to talk about.
3. Speaking of talking… Focus on them: Ask questions about them. Show them that you’re interested in getting to know them and what they like or what their hobbies are. People like to talk about themselves. If you’re not really a talker, this is perfect.
4. Know your worth: They’re going on a date with you, right? You’re worth it! Remember all the great qualities you have to offer another person and think that they’re lucky to be in your presence. Look them in their eyes, smile, and be confident.
5. Breathe: Relax, just breathe. Before you get out of your car and meet your date, breathe. In and out. It calms you down and clears your head. It helps get rid of all the anxiety you’re feeling and allows you to just go with the flow.
Everyone is different, so you’ll be able to figure out different ways to cope with your anxiety that work for you. These are just a few suggestions. Also, the other person may be just as nervous as you are, so don’t be so hard on yourself. Oh, and if for some reason the date doesn’t work out, they’re the one who’s missing out. ;-)
a.s. you live…
The Gay Guru